March 19, 2012

The Rhythm of Life

I am not a patient person. I am always on the go and spend an alarmingly large percentage of my day multi-tasking. My to-do list is always growing, and since I tend to procrastinate, I work well with deadlines and check-points along the way. I am always looking for the most effective and efficient way to accomplish tasks, and when others do not do the same, it is all too easy for me to become very impatient and quite frustrated.

Clearly, this poses a problem in my life. (Well, several, actually...)

See, God is not limited to time. And since my concept of time does not match up well with God's infinite timelessness, and I recognize that my plans for my life are not always in line with His plans for my life, it is all too easy for me to become confused, lost, and frustrated by my lack of knowledge and understanding.

"God, I know Your plans are infinitely greater than what I can even imagine for my life. I trust in you. But I'm anxious... could you please somehow show me what you have in store for me? Give me a quick peek, a glance, so that I can know that I'm on the right track... please?"

I remember praying something similar to this at various points in my life, although I don't recall specifically doing so recently. But as He proves to me over and over again, God's time is not my time, and His ways are not my ways. Even though I have not expressly prayed in those words recently, the general idea has been in my mind and heart a lot. When I pray about this, I typically do so with a bit of impatience and frustration -- not with God, but with my inability to see very far down this path, my inability to see where I am going.

But when the memory of this prayer came to my mind last night, for some reason, I was reminded of my first graders -- and I saw this aspect of my humanity in a new and beautiful way.


Brief sidebar for some pertinent information: Beginning in first grade, my students count rhythm cards every time they come to music class. Level #1 begins with only three types of notes in various combination, and each level either adds a new rhythm or mixes the cards so they are no longer in a progressive, predictable order. A class cannot move on to the next level until they can accurately count and clap the cards in order, listening to each other to stay together as a class and with the steady beat of the music. If there are mistakes or the entire class isn't precisely together, we keep working on it the next class. It takes quite while to pass each level (which can be frustrating for some classes), but by the time those high standards are met, everyone in the class truly has a solid grasp on the skills needed; they are ready and well-equipped for the next task.

The younger classes get very excited about moving on to the next level. Inevitably, every day when we finish the cards, at least one person will excitedly ask, "Miss Michel, did we pass?" -- even if they know they made a lot of mistakes. They really want to have the accomplishment of completing one level and moving on to the next. When they do pass, they get even more excited. In first grade, this news is almost always followed up by a request:

"Can we see the next level? Pleeeeeease??"

I usually comply... in my own joking way. I quickly fan through the stack with my thumb so they can see the print, but cannot actually read the rhythms. Sometimes, I even do it backwards so that they majority of what they see are the blank sides of the pages. (I know, I am so hilarious!! haha) But they keep asking, often bringing more specific requests:

"MISS MICHEL!! Don't go so fast, we can't see them!" (Oh... okay.)

"No, Miss Michel! Go the other way!" (Oops! Sorry!)

"I SAW ONE!! I don't know what it's called, but it looks like..."

"Wow, I wonder what that is!"

I absolutely love this exchange because they are so excited about the things they are going to learn the next time I see them! They know I won't tell them about the new rhythm until next class, but they just want a sneak peek of the future.

Sometimes, they ask to see the final level -- Level #20. When I give into that request, something near awe ensues:

"Oh my goodness!"
"Whoa! That's a lot of cards!"
"Did you see that?"
"What is that??"

And then -- "Miss Michel, can we try it?" I tell them no, they can't skip ahead to the end, they have to go through all the levels before they can get there. They're a little disappointed, but deep down I think they know as well as I do that they aren't ready for level 20. I tell them that we definitely won't get there in first grade -- it will probably take them until 4th or 5th grade to get there. "What?? Fifth grade???" Yes, fifth grade.

See, I know that there are rhythms in level 20 that are simply beyond the grasp of a 7 year old child. Yes, they have a solid foundation, and they can count the snot out of quarter notes, quarter rests, eighth notes, and half notes... but I know they aren't ready for dotted rhythms, sixteenth notes, uneven patterns, and many other things found in that particular folder. I know they will get there, but it will take some time. The levels are broken down in a particular way for a reason: the complexity can be best understood when practiced and explained in small doses. Learn a skill, practice it, perfect it; add another skill, practice, perfect it; then another... It will take a long time, but eventually they will have a very solid and thorough understanding of how rhythms work; they will be able to sight-read, write, compose, and analyze them without trouble. But it takes work, and it takes patience... and it takes time. Lots of time.


Driving home the other night from a wonderful day at our Source + Summit retreat, where I had been doing a lot of thinking and reflecting on my life, I realized that when it comes to the direction of my life, I am EXACTLY like a first grader with those rhythm cards!

"God, am I ready?"
-- Not yet, keep working.

"How about now?"
-- Almost...

"You mean I'm still not ready? Man, this is taking a long time!"
-- I know, but it's part of my plan. Just trust me, we'll get there.

"Can I please see what's coming? You don't have to give it to me now, just let me know what it is so that I know what to expect, what to look forward to down the road. Please??"


The truth is, I know I'm not ready for "Level 20" in my life. I'm in the process, working my way through, learning along the way, gaining the skills, knowledge, and graces I will need for whatever it is that God has planned for me. I am certain that God knows what is best for me, and that His plan is for my benefit. Even if, as His child and student, I think the lesson is taking too long, deep down I know it is probably because there is something I'm missing, something I haven't quite grasped just yet. He won't let me skip ahead because He loves me too much to see me struggle and fail unnecessarily.

Sometimes, I do get a "sneak peek" at what is coming my way, and it is beautiful!! Those moments bring excitement, but also a certain element of confusion: "What exactly is that? What does it mean?" Just like my students, I can get excited about a glimpse -- and there is nothing wrong with that!! -- but the glimpse doesn't necessarily help without further explanation from the Teacher.



Lord, grant us patience and guidance as we continue to learn to trust in You more and more each day. May we trust not only Your plans, but Your timing and methods as well!

3 comments:

  1. I love the use of such a simple analogy of something that causes me great frustration as well. How I pray to bettter understand what God has next for me. God is like a gentle and wonderful teacher, allowing us to see the mysteries of life, especially our life, as we can handle them. Awesome work. It's great to see your growth.

    Christ's love, BG

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a creative teacher, Anna! Thanks for sharing this beautiful analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations BG - Prayers coming your way!!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?