May 05, 2011

Community

This week, I've been thinking a lot about the importance of community in my life and the immense blessings this gift is for me. Last Sunday, I spent some time reflecting at the end of a very full day. Although the day had been busy, every moment was filled with beauty, exhibited in some way through experiences shared with others: fighting back tears at my students' First Communion, a much fuller-than-expected divine mercy service in the afternoon (especially considering the heavy rain), and celebrating Blessed John Paul II's beatification with a seemingly mismatched group of people that only Christ could bring together.

As I drove home Sunday night, I was struck by the realization that I have so many communities that support, guide, and pray for me. My parish community, my school community, my work community, my friends, my family... I could go on. I have come to realize that I am actually quite dependent on these communities. It's not that I couldn't exist without them - I am certain that I could - but it would be unreasonable for me to ignore the gift that has been given to me. I have a community of friends who, through the sharing of their own experiences, continually challenge me to look at my life through new eyes, seeking Christ.

Then I remembered the first reading from Sunday's Mass: Acts 2:42-47 (http://www.usccb.org/nab/050111.shtml). As I thought about what I had just experienced at our "beatification party" - a multi-generational group of unlikely people coming together to celebrate the triumph of Christ, asking questions about faith, the Church, and sharing experiences, laughing, eating, and praying together - I couldn't help but wonder if I'd caught a tiny glimpse of life in the early church.

Thank you, Lord, for the community You have given me! They don't make life easier, but they make it more real.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?