November 27, 2011

Rebellion and Obedience

This year's Advent season brings with it a large amount of change for the Catholic liturgy. In my conversations with people, as well as in my observations, I have found a relatively negative perspective of the change. One guy I spoke to in particular hated the new translation because it was not inclusive, it was far too "conservative" in nature, he was of the opinion that it would cause more conflict than unity.
Unfortunately, I am finding this viewpoint to be rather common among people, or at the very least, many of the faithful express mistrust of the translation. I find it understandable that people are not privy to change, even I was slightly uncomfortable at Mass this morning.
During Mass today, as my mind was crowded with annoying thoughts of people grumbling about the new translation, I witnessed something rather simple that was a wonderful blessing to see. I was sitting near an elderly couple, who showed clear difficulty in standing and then sitting, it had to take them a good ten seconds to get to a fully upright position. When the moment came for the congregation to kneel following the Sanctus, the elderly man, who I expected to sit, proceeded to slowly get on his knees for the consecration.
An old man, who had every right in the world to sit because of his age, chose instead to sacrifice comfort for the worship of Jesus. To me, this was a sign of faith, a trust that Jesus is God. I connected this to people's lack of perspective for Jesus in the Mass. We who complain about the translation of the Mass are missing the point entirely. That man's act of faith in kneeling was perhaps about obedience to God. Obedience is a bitter pill to swallow, it takes the highest degree of humility, and in American society, obedience is not a virtue. Showing humble obedience to the Church in Her wisdom to change the translation is difficult, but it is what we are asked to do.
If we naturally rebel, as that man's body did to kneeling, may we find the strength to obey, and slowly kneel before our supreme and awesome God, who matters more than our wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?