December 11, 2011

George Bailey and Our Wonderful Lives

Among the many classic Christmas movies I watch this time of year, one of my top three favorites is "It's a Wonderful Life". The theme in this movie that I pick up on so readily each year is that George Bailey never, ever does what he wants to do in life. His dream is to travel to exotic places, and to see and do big, wonderful things. Yet time and time again his best laid plans are thwarted by external circumstances. I can't help but feel very sorry for him during the movie because he knows he is doing the right thing, but it breaks his heart to do what he should do, but does not want to do. His character is the perfect example of someone who is obedient to what is required of him for the happiness of others. The lesson of the film though, is that he clearly overlooks what he has in life and especially the good he has done for others. Because of his sacrifice, others could have a better life. In that sense George Bailey is very Christ-like. Setting aside personal ambition is so very difficult for all of us, I find myself having enormous difficulty reconciling the sacrificial life Jesus calls me (and all people) to, with my desires and plans. It does not seem fair at all to sacrifice for others, to lay down our desires so the other person can shoot up higher. As paradoxical as it sounds though, I believe that somehow, making ourselves vulnerable and sacrifical will make us happier than any person on earth who does only what they want to do. I can't say I understand this, because I don't. This is a mystery of God beyond me, but something inside me tells me it is true. Something tells me to look inside the manger and see the greatest example of sacrifice and happiness. The most mysterious paradox in history came as a baby for us. It makes no sense. Does it have to? All I know is that I am happy, that's all I permit myself to say on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?