December 21, 2011

Look at the Moon!

Almost two weeks ago, I had a great opportunity to go on a cruise with a group of friends. Now, normally I would never think of doing something like that. I was very blessed to have the opportunity, the income, and the vacation days at work, so off I went to the Caribbean. Amidst a ship filled with some pretty amazing things to do (mostly distractions), I found myself going, going, going all day long. From laying out on the deck of the ship, to playing cards with friends, to having a drink in the bar while playing some afternoon trivia, there was always something to occupy my time.

One evening on the ship, however, I was given a reminder of the simplicity of God and the grandness of His love. After dinner, my friends and I went to a bar to listen to a piano player sing and play. After listening to some songs that were just disappointing to me, such as his rendition of Lady GaGa's "Poker Face", my last straw was his ability to sing a song by U2 with no intensity or excitement whatsoever. After a friend got up to leave, I had to follow. I just could not take it anymore.

So we went out on deck. And I was struck by something so simple. The moon was so bright and big. The sky was so clear that hundreds of stars were visible. The water was beautiful with the reflecting light of the moon. I just stood there, staring. About fifteen minutes later, I was still standing there, staring, staring, staring...

And I felt so small. As I looked around at all of the water around me, on this huge ship, with all of life's comforts, I suddenly felt so small, and so insignificant. And I started to think about one of the Psalms that I had recently read.

LORD, what is man that you take notice of him;
the son of man, that you think of him?
Man is but a breath, his days are like a passing shadow.
Psalm 144:3-4


Who am I that this moment should be given to me? Who am I that I should have all of these gifts that God has given? For me, this moment was a reminder of gratitude. In fact, the rest of my cruise experience was about gratitude--for each moment, for each encounter, and for God's grace in my life.

A friend who shared this experience with me on the deck also gave me a different perspective. Even in our smallness, our existence as "merely a breath", a "passing shadow", eventually everything that I saw on that night in the Caribbean will pass away, but what will remain? My heart, my desire, my spirit within me-- that will live on forever!

Thank you, Lord, for the gifts that you have given! During this Christmas season, let's all keep gratitude at the forefront. Thank you, Jesus, for stooping down to earth in meekness and humility to save us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?