February 03, 2012

Having a Voice

Have you ever been in a situation where your most deeply held beliefs are being attacked? For example, have you been in a class where a rather rude and loud-mouthed person is arrogantly spouting their ideas about the failings of the Church while you sit there in your seat, feeling your temperature and blood pressure steadily rising until steam may quite possibly emit from your ears and nose? Everyone has had an experience like this, what makes these experiences worse are when nobody steps up to defend the Church. What is worse to you? When you say nothing, along with everyone else, or when you say something and nobody else rises to defend with you?

This quandry of speaking out or remaining silent has plagued me this week (it seems to be a theme!). In each situation I have chosen to speak out. But is that always necessary? As I reflect back on this week, I wonder if my words did nothing else but burn bridges. Perhaps I had prideful hopes of actually changing someone's mind, but it appears that my direct efforts to do so resulted in simply a hardening of the other person's convictions.

So I take a step back and scratch my head feverishly like a rodent and wonder what to do on the matter. This is meant to be an open question to all. When do we speak, and when do we not speak? What is that apparent delicate balance of telling others what we know is right, and living what we know is right? I have no idea what to say on the matter, it puzzles me exceedingly. Thoughts and comments are more than welcome.

5 comments:

  1. I have been there, and while I absolutely do NOT claim to have all the answers, I have learned that the way I live is more influential than the words I say. Yes, words are needed at times, but if what I say and how I live don't coincide, then I am labeled a hypocrite -- often along with all those who hold my beliefs.

    For example, if I spend all day every day speaking out against abortion because all life is sacred, but I do so with a spirit of pure hatred against those with the opposing view, then I am not living in a way that affirms the sanctity of ALL life.

    I think this is especially important with all of the current attacks on life and religious liberty. We must stand firm, yes!! But if we appear bull-headed and opposed to a particular political move, I don't think we will affect as much change. But if we hold firmly to the truth, and speak and live in a way that says, "the Truth is this. It is much more than a legal document or ruling, it is something written on the heart of every man. We won't back down, not because we're opposed to what you say, but because we stand for truth, justice, and beauty. We will support these things, no matter whose mouth they come from" -- I think that affects people more deeply.


    Perhaps that is too idealistic. Perhaps I have failed to consider something. I welcome comments, too -- let's have a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the truth will be revealed to those who honestly seek it. Maybe it isn't so much when we talk or do not talk, but how we might help another choose to listen.

    I left more thoughts on Jill's similar post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the problem is that truth is not being sought honestly by a lot of people. Many have deluded themselves in the search for truth and only do what they WANT to do. I suppose that words would be of little use then, either way. Do we then "shake the dust off our feet" and move on then? I don't mean to say we abandon them, I mean to say that these people are clearly not in a place to receive truth, so why spin our wheels in the mud? I think you are right Tyler, most of it has to do with the disposition of the receiver. So actions are probably more useful.

    But what about this situation? I know two guys that, when they are together, rip other people to shreds. Oftentimes I am in the same room as they are. At the worst, I laugh at what they say, at the best, I say nothing and don't even take part in their conversation. Should I speak in defense of the other person being insulted? I feel that I should, because guys like these need to be hammered with a 2x4 between the eyes I think...I'm not entirely sure this is right though. It may just satisfy myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone should avoid the occasion of sin. Some examples, if you have a problem with alcohol, avoid bars at all costs. If you have a problem with marijuana, your ties to all your old "friends" that smoke dope must be severed. If sex outside marriage is your issue, complete avoidance of places these things are acceptable should be the order. Reduce temptation by avoiding the circumstances that promote sin.

      Now will this ever eliminate the temptation or the occasion of sin? NO! That awful word, concupiscence, assures us the fallen one is always right around the corner asking us for sin.

      So, to your situation, these guys are not your friends if you do not care about the salvation of their souls. This puts you in tough place...do I care enough to help them? Or should I avoid the temptation of joining in the behavior by accepting they are truly not my Christian brothers?

      I can't answer this for you, but whenever I am perplexed, I default to grade school theology....What would Jesus do? This helps me step back and see difficult questions wearing the mantel of Christ. prayerfully, jhP

      Delete
  4. If you have a problem with your brother, go to your brother...

    If you are angry, let it be without sin...

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?