July 11, 2011

Called to Love

Here in the Diocese of Evansville, we have spent the past several months in a bit of a transitional state. Last winter, Bishop Gerald Gettelfinger announced his retirement after faithfully serving our diocese for the past 22 years, and we all waited in anxious anticipation for the selection of his successor. In April, we rejoiced in the appointment of Louisville's (then Fr.) Charles Thompson as our new Bishop-Elect. Countless hours were spent preparing the details of this celebration and all that comes with it. And finally, on June 29, Bishop Thompson was ordained as the 5th Bishop of Evansville.

As I sat in Roberts Stadium with approximately 9,000 other Catholics present for the event, I couldn't ignore the most dominant feeling in the room. There was obviously a lot of excitement for this historical event (covered by 7 different news channels!), as well as the expected reverence and some awe of how the stadium had been transformed into such a beautiful sacred space. But more than anything else, I experienced an overwhelming witness of love.

I was especially moved by the two young men assisting Archbishop Daniel Buechlein, who has struggled with some serious health conditions in recent months. Their patience as they walked him to and from his seat - guiding him by the hand, helping him along with one hand on the small of his back, patiently taking small, slow step after small, slow step - was a tremendous expression not only of deep respect, but of profound love of this shepherd of the church. These three were seated almost directly in front of me, and even the tiniest gestures (such as when one gently repositioned the microphone on his ear as it began to fall) I felt blessed to witness, because they were done with such love.

I thought about how many young people would have grown impatient in that role... and how impatient I become in so many circumstances (most of which are much more trivial and less demanding). Patience and love go hand in hand... actually, love goes hand in hand with just about everything. And sometimes, it is the hardest thing to do! Yet, standing in that stadium, I could not ignore all the love being poured out around me.

The love of the masses of people who had traveled from Louisville to support a priest they have known and loved for many years.

The love of the people in the Evansville diocese who traveled to be a part of this event and support our new bishop, embracing the unknown that is to follow.

The love of the 20 other bishops who came from all over Indiana and beyond to welcome their newest brother.

The love of Archbishop Buechlein, who would not let his health conditions stop him from playing a role in the ordination of his friend; the love of a friendship that was made clear during his wonderful homily.

The love of Bishop Thompson's parents and many family members smiling proudly in the front row.

The love Bishop Thompson has for the good of the Church and its people, and the love made evident through his response to this call to service, even through personal cost.

My eyes were once again opened to the love of a God who not only redeemed humanity, but who also left behind plans for a succession of men He would call to lead, serve, and shepherd His flock. The love of a God who pours out infinite blessings and graces upon those who say to Him, "I know that I can't do this on my own... but I will do whatever it is that You ask of me. I know I am not enough, but please use me in whatever way You can. I am Your servant. So, whatever it is that You place before me... I say YES, because I love Your will more than my own."

Before we can answer any other call, we must first respond to the call to love. To love unselfishly. To desire the good of another, even when it is not convenient. To see the value in others, to see all of creation as a gift from God and to treat it as such. I must love God's will more than my own. I don't know what lies ahead, but I must love enough to trust that it is for good... eventually, at least.

We don't have to master it - trying is the point of the journey! - but we do have to answer.



"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love, him, who have been called according to his purpose." -- Romans 8:28

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Anna. And, your final statement is true. Thanks for the reflection and challenge.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts?